Me fail English? That unpossible! — Ralph Wiggum


English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway. ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Way to go Ron Currie Jr.!



My favorite book we read this year was The Namesake. Unfortunately, it is not one of the three books I chose to study for the AP test (my love for the book would have distracted me from studying), so sadly I cannot rant and rave about it. I try to explain why it is a great book, but no one listens. I could always try again, but Ms. Serensky will probably just say, “Put your hand over your mouth Ertel so you stop making noise.” I guess now I can talk via blog, which is a good substitute I suppose. So, out of the three I chose to study, my favorite book would have to the Everything Matters! I really liked this book; it seemed very relatable- or at least more relatable to me than 16th century characters or mentally unstable patients.  Whenever I see this book, I think to myself, “‘It’s good to see you!’” as opposed to when I see One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, which just turns me in a bad mood (184).  This is definitely one of the best, most interesting, and most relatable books we have ever read. But that’s okay if you don’t believe me, “Making you believe me isn’t important” because as long as I know it is a great book, I’m content. But just don’t say anything bad about this book or The Namesake directly to me, “Because that does upset me” (132). A lot.  Also, my appreciation for this book has exponentially grown after we read The Importance of Being Earnest. No offense, but I do not like reading as Gwendolen. Maybe I’m ditzy, but I’m not that dumb and desperate for a husband (don’t even try to say I am). Therefore, “All there is to say is I miss” reading Everything Matters! (127).  I mean, not to be overly confident in this book, but I think “it contains the secret to saving the world” (100). From what? Who knows? Everything. Maybe the 2012 apocalypse. Think about it.

5 comments:

  1. Jillian, I also really enjoyed reading Everything Matters! It was a great book and a great mix between reality and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jillian, I loved Everything Matters! as well. The unique narration was completely new to me and made the book great. I recommended the novel to my family and friends and hope they decided to read the good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian, I agree that Everything Matters! is a great book. Although some of the problems would not really apply to us, it still holds many good messages which I have taken with me. I am a bit concerned that you like The Namesake more though, in my opinion it was a terrible book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jillian, I liked The Namesake as well(secrectly, though, because everyone hated it and felt so strongly about it)Like Hannah, I mentioned Everything Matters! to other people. My dad saw it on the counter and decided to read it over Spring Break and he said it was "alright." Not the reaction I had hoped for but better than "bad" I guess but it was better than "alright."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jil-yan, I wrote about Everything Matters as well. I similarly liked that I could relate to it more easily than any of the other books we've read. Even though Junior was the 4th smartest person in human history and he could see the future, I still felt like I could relate to many aspects of his life.

    ReplyDelete