Me fail English? That unpossible! — Ralph Wiggum


English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway. ~Author Unknown

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Welcome back, Sestina



Although I truly do dislike most poems and the dreaded poetry papers that go along with them, I do have a favorite poem.  My favorite poem we read this year actually just popped back into our lives yesterday! As I was going through the very stressful AP multiple-choice test, I realized how much I liked the poem, Sestina. For some odd reason, I really like how each line ends with one of five words. Also, when I read the poem, I was so ecstatic that I actually knew what the passage was saying. I felt like Emilia, and said to myself, “Oh God! Oh heavenly God!” or something along those lines (5.2.215).  I usually like poems that rhyme and this was the first poem I liked that did not have rhyming. I like the childish and sing-song nature of rhyming, but I suppose the repetition of the five words is a pretty good replacement. Also, I liked the metaphorical nature and personification of the poem, which went “Against all rules of nature,” but that only made it more interesting (1.3.101). “I know this act shows horrible,” my liking a poem for it’s repetition in my life and it’s childish nature, but it really is my favorite (5.2.200)! I am very glad I read it, and “I found it by fortune” because of my being in AP English 12, but it was lucky (5.2.223)! Hopefully, there will be a Sestina on the actual AP exam, too!

2 comments:

  1. I like how both you and Carolyn have this picture on your blog. I'm guessing it's the image that came up when you typed "Sestina" into Google images? I also dreaded poetry papers, but I a few poems definitely stuck out in my mind. I didn't choose this as my favorite poem, but I think the fact that it was on the practice test we took today (therefore making it very easy) I like it a lot more. I really like the structure of a Sestina, and I also like the fact that a lot of people don't know what it is, so it makes me feel smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I cannot stand the "Sestina". Although I was pleasantly surprised when I came across it in the AP multiple choice packet, some of the questions still stumped me. I also do not like the dreary tone it has, and I just feel bad for the child mentioned in it because every person and object around him or her is crying.

    ReplyDelete