Me fail English? That unpossible! — Ralph Wiggum


English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway. ~Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I am Watching...Observant or Creepy?


Everyday in English class we sit in a large circle.  This set up makes it possible to see every other student in the class.  As we have our daily discussions, I have begun to observe my classmates in 8th period( It's not that creepy...I bet you watch people too).  I have noticed interesting human characteristics, quirks, and tendencies.  I apologize in advance if you find this odd or unusual, but as I listen to discussions (Ms. Serensky- I promise I do pay attention to discussions as well as observe), I find the actions of people very intriguing.  Here is my list:
1. I have noticed that as a person gets ready to talk, their body position changes.  Most people sit closer to the desk and sit up straight as if to prepare themselves to talk.  
2. People's voice level changes.  Some people talk more loudly and confidently.  Others, like myself, talk quietly and practically whisper, and even sometimes get a "ERTEL! LOUDER! AND AGAIN!" from Ms. Serensky.
3. Sometimes people are a lot more outspoken than I'd expect.  For example, Lizzy Burl (sorry for the callout but you're a good example!).  To me, she always seemed like a quiet, shy person.  However, in English class she speaks her opinion, which I fully give her credit for and I feel jealous towards her because I never can do this.
4. On the other hand, other people confirm their outspoken nature - Henry Gilbert.  As a friend of mine, I have always known him as an outspoken, confident, and loud individual.  In English class, as all of 8th period knows, he never holds back.  He voices his opinion no matter what and often times begins screaming.  He even talks about unnecessary things and such as students'  relationship statuses.  Even when it does not apply to the topic...
5. People get passionate.  For instance, Katie Conolly.  Her and Henry could probably debate for hours.  
6.  People have weird quirks.  Example 1- Alex Kreger.  When he talks during discussions, he pushes his hands against his desk, sits up straight, and almost leans back.  Then, as he discusses, he clicks his pen. Unique? Yes. Unusual? Yes.
7. People talk with their hands.  I have never understood this.  Does moving your hands around help you get your point across?
8. Many females in the class play/fidget with their hair as they speak.  I too do this as a nervous habit and I rarely notice when I do it.  
9. Many students cannot explain the placement of a quote in the book.  1st...no 2nd...no 1st real paragraph...umm...1, 2, 3, 4, 5th line.  I believe I fall into this category.  I feel so much pressure when the entire class watches and waits for me to find a quote, when really, it does not matter that much.
10.  As a person begins to talk, they usually start with "Yeah."  As highly-educated, well-spoken AP English 12 students, "Yeah" probably is not the best, most effective way to make a point.  

Have you noticed any unusual habits about your classmates?
  

6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh because I notice all of the weird things we do during discussion, but usually no one points them out. As you said, everyone usually does begin with "Yeah," but then most people go on to say "Yeah, I feel like..." I don't know when we decided that we "feel" our conversation topics, but it seems to have become the norm. Also, I'd categorize most people's speaking habits into either rambling or sudden-ending. Some people (like me, admittedly) just keep talking until they almost forget what they're talking about and then trail off, and some people make their point and then stop, and there's an awkward pause where no one wants to interrupt them.

    Also, people who talk with their hands (like me) rarely even notice it until someone else points it out or they accidentally hit someone/something while gesturing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jillian, I really like your observant nature and the list you have created. I find number ten especially interesting because this is something I have noticed as well. People say "Yeah" just as someone finishes their thought in order to make it known that they want to speak next. I am very guilty of this tactic myself. However, I do not like when people say the word "Yeah" in general, because like you said it sounds so uneducated. I believe Ms. Serensky may use the same strategy as us when she wants to add to the discussion. One last thing I find very humorous is when two or more people talk at the same time. I really like it when one person apologizes and says sorry and then goes on to insert their point. I do this myself but I find it amusing how we assume that by saying "sorry" before we talk, we are then justified to continue on. I am not necessarily saying that we are bad people for doing this, but I enjoy being part of a class where everyone is so eager to contribute their unique thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Jillian this is so true. I have noticed many of these weird habits that people display while participating in an intense discussion. I can sympathize with you, as when I talk, I immediately feel nervous and scared about whether my point will sound legitimate or not. Honestly, discussions scare me. The atmosphere becomes very intense and no matter what, when I formulate what I am about to say in my mind, it never comes out the same when I am actually trying to explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jillian, I have also noticed all these little quirks and I can especially identify with number 1and 2. Every time I hear someone else say something that corresponds with what I am thinking I sit up and get on the edge of my seat. I do not know why I do this I guess so I can quickly spring in and make my point known, but nevertheless I do it often. Often times this leads to nothing since someone else jumps in before I can but if I do jump in then after I start talking I notice that I relax back into my previous position. Also, once I start talking my voice changes too. I usually start out rather confidently since I know my idea in my head. However, as I go along I usually start to stumble and my face inevitably turns red as I second guess my points since they always sound so much better in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jill! This made me laugh. But as you know, because we spent a lot of time in commons talking about this, I also agree with all your points. I also have noticed that when one person is finishing their point and another person is ready to move in for the kill, they sit their with their mouths open just waiting for the moment to pounce. I'm not sure you've noticed this in 8th period, but I definitely see it often in 6th. The other day during discussion I actually noticed how EVERY time someone wants to begin their point they say "yeah" but it's not even that, its more like a "yeahhh" if you know what I mean. Your class must be more polite than my class, because when people interrupt rarely do I hear them say "sorry," which is what Thomas said in his comment. Its funny how this rudeness in discussions is just acceptable, since everyone's in it for the same thing: points. (And of course, the intelligent conversation)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jillian, I totally agree with you. I often times have trouble with finding where my example is on the page, because I feel so much pressure from everybody else in the circle staring at me. I also sometimes begin talking, then realize that what I am saying makes no sense. Then, my heart rate goes up, my face turns red and I completely blank out. The points seem to pose a problem, because many people completely disregard their manners and simply shout out "YEAHH" and then "OH, sorry, are you finished?"

    ReplyDelete